CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 8, 2008

When Cancer dropped by for dinner

This was an exciting poem for me to publish. It won the journal Scribbendi's poetry contest and I was paid about$500.00 for it. that was exciting. This is one of Trevor's favorite poems too. He likes the ending - It is interesting to hear how people read the ending - I have heard a few different interpretations...again, I am not sure why these double space when I copy and paste them in here. This poem was also published early in 2008.



When Cancer Dropped By For Dinner

we set a plate

just for him,

a spoonful of mashed potatoes

and three yellowing

green beans—sensitive

to his perpetual nauseas.

But he overstayed his welcome

Lounging around in russet-orange

velour suits, gulping milk

straight from our jug, insisting

we all spend Friday night

curled on the couch, fetal position

in a dark living room where we lay

like tumors with no light or sound

to stave off headaches.

He took up his own shelf

in our medicine cabinet

for panacea and elixirs:

Temedor, Dexamethasone

and stomach-settling herbs

that smelled like week-old laundry.

He even climbed into our bed

between us, complaining

too hot, too cold,

pulling the comforter up only to pitch

it off again, so we spend nights shivering,

his knobby elbows bruising our ribs.

Over morning coffee he leers at us,

His flickering gaze wolfish,

and if he notices our red-rimmed eyes,

our sharp sighs, he grins and says,

Come on, you know me

I grew up with you

you’ve carried me piggyback

all these years,

long before you knew it.

So we have no one to blame

for his sunken-hollowed cheeks,

the waning-moon chest,

surgical scars, tufts

of thinning hair he leaves around our loft.


Sometimes I collapse at his feet,

cry and demand to know

when he will leave.

But he smiles, shrugs,

pats my head, and coughs up bile.

I am an ungracious hostess.

My husband is the gentleman,

he never leaves Cancer’s side,

attends to his every need—a glass

of Sprite at 2 AM, seven hours

at the hospital, whatever he demands,

never mentioning the hell he’s made our lives,

at least not out loud.

And while I curse Cancer’s

name in our hallways,

scream, and throw the butter dish

against the kitchen wall

the two of them

sit side by side, weighing down

the corner of the bed,

and sometimes, I swear, I see my betrayal

in both their eyes.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am so glad you are going to post your work so I can read it!
A velour-suit wearing, couch hogging, unwanted houseguest. I never realized it, but that is what it feels like to have disease in your home.

Amanda and Shaye Scott said...

Chelsi, you are brilliant! I am so glad I found your blog. I am loving this and will continue to read your great work! You're awesome!

Kayle said...

When you told me you published another poem I expected to see it up here. Any plans in the future to publish the one you told me about.

Michelle Willis said...

Chelsi, These are beautiful! It makes me want to pick up a pen and start writing again. It also reminds me of high school and your fun little stories you would write :) I still have a few of them.